Wednesday, October 17, 2007

Home on the range

Well, I've spent the most wonderful week at a place called the Red River Lodge near capitol reef national monument. For anyone not familiar with this area in Utah, it is simply breath taking.

Called "Wayne Wonderland" in the 1920s by local boosters Ephraim P. Pectol and Joseph S. Hickman, Capitol Reef National Park comprises 378 square miles of colorful canyons, ridges, buttes, and monoliths. About 75 miles of the long up-thrust called the Waterpocket Fold, extending like a rugged spine from Thousand Lake Plateau southward to Lake Powell, is preserved within the park boundary. Capitol Reef is the name of an especially rugged and spectacular part of the Waterpocket Fold near the Fremont River.
EARLY HISTORY
Only a few decades ago, Capitol Reef and the Waterpocket Fold country comprised one of the remote corners of the lower 48 states. Easy road access came only with the construction of a paved Utah Highway 24 through the Fremont River Canyon in 1962.
The earliest traces of human activity date from the 9th century when Native American Indian peoples occupied the flood plains and high ground near the few perennial watercourses. These people, called the Fremont Culture by archeologists, were contemporaries of the Ancestral Puebloans of the Four Corners area. Between 1250 and 1500, evidence of the Fremont Culture becomes rare and gradually ceased to exist. A complex combination of environmental and social pressures may have led to this change, but no definitive explanation has been found.
Red river Lodge is a must to see.

The Navajo call it the Land of the Sleeping Rainbow - a strange, beautiful landscape of multi-hued rock layers. Capitol Reef lies in the heart of Utah's canyon country halfway between Canyonlands and Bryce Canyon National parks. Here in this rugged natural wonderland are 2,200 private acres of pristine wilderness called Red River Ranch. Tucked away in the shadows of towering rock cliffs you'll find the Lodge, named one of the West's 25 Grandest Lodges. The Lodge has 15 rustic rooms in the authentic tradition of the 18th Century Wild West. Enjoy fly fishing, Hiking, mountain biking, horse riding, guest pastures , hunting and more.

I am fortunate enough to be involved with a group of 14 people that are enrolled in the Leadership of Northern Utah (LNU). We came from all walks of life, but are like minded in that we want to help our community have a voice and help those who aren’t as blessed as we are. So this was a leadership training exercise based to challenge the team to come together and act as a team. The facilitators/trainers were amazing, Wayne Androtti and Brenda Jensen. They did such a wonderful job over the 4 day span, and I grew to love them and who they are. We all learned about ourselves very much and that was the exercise. It was challenging in every aspect. I came away with a group of new friends whom I love very much and will work with over the next year, but probably for a life time.

While I was at Red River, I had a national ad campaign for my latest product the H3. I had a legal issue come up and I had to stop the ad until I returned home the next week to get things straightened out. I lost a pile of money for the ad, and spent a couple of days getting everything ironed out, but it happened. We start again, and the ad will come out next week. I will be running in Chicago, and if no bites, I will run the following week in NYC, but at 30 k a day, it’s tough! I’m hoping for a strike the first day and catch the big fish I’m after.

I had a few speed bumps with some folks I’m working with as they think they own my products, and were seeking to get some investment capital. Funny thing is all they have done is waste my time and energy. They called me on the carpet for making counter deals, hell I’m talking to anyone in the world trying to advance my technology. I don’t think that is a huge crime. Anyway, it’s all business confidential and I had to explain that to the boys and girls yesterday and tell them how disappointed I am with their poor behavior.

Money seems to make everyone crazy, especially when they can make a buck off of a guy, or a million or billion.

Well today is a planed slow day and I’m going to paint the theater/music room that I just finished off. The carpet dude will be here on Tuesday so I better finish.

I am certain of a loving Heavenly Father that brings good people into our lives, and pushes the bad ones out. I am so very grateful.

No comments: